Property Modification Request
SILVER LEAF PAIRED COTTAGES ASSOCIATION
STANDARD PROCEDURE FOR EXTERIOR MODIFICATIONS/REPLACEMENTS
(Adopted March 27, 2019)
As a resident of Silver Leaf Paired Cottages, all exterior improvements are subject to the current edition of the Covenants, and Rules and Regulations. The Architectural Review Committee will make every reasonable effort to accommodate a resident’s request to improve their property provided that the improvement(s) are within the standards of the covenants, meet all applicable local building codes, and will fit the confines of the subject piece of property. Per the Covenants, and Rules and Regulations, “Each homeowner shall have an affirmative obligation to maintain, repair or modify his or her residential unit or landscaping in such a manner as to maintain at all times the uniformity of appearance of such residential unit or landscaping with all others in the community.” Please do not submit requests for items expressly prohibited such as fences, swimming pools or hot tubs.
The procedure for submitting a request to modify the exterior of a home or lawn shall be as follows:
1. Fill out a Silver Leaf Paired Cottages Exterior Modification Request form.
2. Provide a description and drawing of work to be completed. The drawing should show the property lines, setbacks, easements, the existing residence, and any other pertinent information such as patios, driveways, walkways, and planting beds. The Plat of Survey included in your closing documentation from purchasing your home will have most of this information.
3. Obtain the proper permit from the Town of St John as applicable. As part of the municipal permit application, the resident will have to identify all contractors that will be working on the project. It is imperative that the contractors can provide proof of current license and bonding for the Town that the work will be completed in.
4. Call the Indiana Underground Plant Protection Service at 811 to have all utility locations (except lawn irrigation lines) marked 48 hours in advance of excavation. Homeowners are required by state law to use this service for all excavations on their property including the planting of trees and shrubs.
5. Call the association’s irrigation contractor to have lawn irrigation lines moved, if necessary, prior to starting excavation; this would be at your expense. The association’s contractor or one approved by the association must be used for any relocation.
6. The property owner is responsible for any and all costs associated with the relocation or termination of lawn irrigation water lines, heads, and other equipment related to the subject improvement or modification.
7. The property owner agrees to the following conditions as part of this approval process:
a. The property owner assumes all liability for the work performed on their property, including but not limited to bodily injury, property damage to their unit or to any of the neighboring units as a result of actions on their property.
b. All work is to be completed in a timely and professional manner.
c. The property owner assumes responsibility for the proper removal of all trash, excess material, and other debris in a timely manner at the completion of the project.
d. Silver Leaf Paired Cottages Association bears no responsibility and assumes no liability in this matter.
e. Silver Leaf Paired Cottages Association and its appointed representatives reserve the right to monitor and inspect construction progress for the duration of the project through completion. This may include photography of the project.
f. Silver Leaf Paired Cottages Association and its representatives have the authority to withdraw approval if the representative determines that an unsafe condition exists, or if the work is not in compliance with the Covenants, and Rules and Regulations.
g. Modifications that do not have Architectural Review Committee approval are in effect, not in compliance with the Covenants, and Rules and Regulations.
h. Modifications not in compliance with the Covenants, and Rules and Regulations are subject to removal and remediation to the original property condition at the property owner’s expense.
i. Approval for modification requests will not be granted unless the association dues for the subject piece of property are paid current and the property owner has submitted a copy of their homeowner’s insurance policy with “Silver Leaf Paired Cottages Association” named as an additional insured or additional interest.
j. Approval for modification requests will not be granted unless the property owner obtained the consent of immediate neighbors for all exterior changes.
k. The homeowner is responsible for informing any new owner, prior to the sale of the home, that the landscaping has been modified, and that the new owner, not the association, is responsible for the maintenance of the modified landscaping.
SILVER LEAF PAIRED COTTAGES ASSOCIATION
EXTERIOR MODIFICATIONS/REPLACEMENT REQUEST APPLICATION
Please e-mail a sketch of the requested modifications to: firstname.lastname@example.org after submitting this form.